Monday, July 11, 2011

to tell you what my brand of schizophrenia was like or "runnin and hidin"

i felt like i wanted to throw my head in the trash. i always wonder in retrospect about people who crave drama. i've had enough drama in my head for a lifetime and don't need any outside of my head either.

one day in the life:

strange days

i
awake
in the morning
to
no static
at all
but it catches me
as i let myself out the door

there is a haze
helium
inside the mind
and other words invade

i
shift to neutral
i want to cry
but there are no
more tears

this is my time in
and out of an unreal universe
25 years
and still
i
wonder/wander


this poem was written in psychosis about psychosis. (psychosis is such a dirty word to people, but that's another story.) psychotic symptoms were the norm for me for 25 years. i was going to try to explain it to you in prose, but maybe a poem would explain it better. this one i wrote in retrospect. imagine your life like this:


psychosis

25 years
in his jail
he was
a torturer/he masked the Fight
he was
sadistic/evil
he
      tried to
                    entice me
                                      to die
willingly
(only God had other plans)

he
had me bind and gag
my sane self
at gunpoint
playin russian roulette
with my head
and turned me so
i didn’t know
if anyone in my head
was sane
or me

he
had his cohorts
follow me everywhere
to insure
slavery
no freedom train
no Savior
blackout in my head
snow on every television
the world
disappeared

he
turned
everything i
loved grotesque
had me writin love letters
to
fictional characters
who screwed
emotions
for a living
and menaced
the enchanted forests
of a romantic mind

but i thought
(this was my downfall)

he
turned my
own words
against me
to nightmare
my days
and consume my nights
in a corner clutched head
sobbing
wanted to disconnect my head
and drop it
in the trash

the lights went out often


innocence
became the worst
dictionary word
because it wasn’t
and yet
it looked the pinkish rose petal
and was

he
would attack physically
from nowhere
never seen
demons
in all dimensions

he was the
devil’s
evil nemesis

hope i didn't scare you, but this is how it felt for me. sometimes much worse, but words can't describe. it's a terrible thing to lose your mind and i can't understand why people make us suffer twice with stigma. 
"runnin and hidin" is what i did a lot. but i couldn't get away from my head. i prayed to God to let me die. maybe that was blasphemous, but it's how i felt.



No comments:

Post a Comment