Sunday, July 24, 2011

share the wealth of information (everyone)

I'm in love with the commercial with Susan Taylor and Terrie Williams trying to entice the African-American Community into a dialogue about mental illness. This has been a long time coming. We judge so harshly sometimes. Even some of those within our own families. They say things like,"stop being lazy and get a job," when you're trying to work but can't hold one.

I think these women are very astute for bringing this to the forefront. The more people that are educated about this illness, I believe they will let the stigma go. I think the nation is due for this kind of conversation.

I saw and heard Terrie Williams at a women's retreat. She was very compelling in her call for "a healing" in the community. I hope this catches on and in my lifetime, I can talk about the brain disorder I have as if it were diabetes. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

No comments:

Post a Comment