Thursday, February 27, 2014

for me


 
 
this has been black history month and i have always equated the history of the us and its treatment of black people insanity...therefore, i have always been able to find the resilience to keep going by looking to ancestors and following their lead...last words on  this last day  of a month that is 24/7 for me...
 
 
 
 
“and they speak through me”

by jacquese armstrong

 

because there are diamonds/

gold in that rubble ( as some call it)

i dig and i dig

for nuggets of wisdom/clues left

by my ancestors

they comforted me

rocked me in their lap

when the lights went out

 

and they shine through me

people ask me why—

i am without blue remorse ‘cause

ancestors took my hands

led me lovingly

             to freedom of mind

                              from the red insanity of blue yesterdays

 

and they speak freedom through me

whispered knowings descend from mountains

stories grown cold

turn hot

insensitivities don’t fade

they blossom granite

(i love my family ‘cause

they rode the turbulent ill winds/

landed on fertile ground)

it doesn't mean I can't sip the tea of forgiveness (if served)

but i can never erase the tape unedited from my mind

‘cause they illuminate through me

 

held my head close to their chest

and i was rocked

consoled

they cried blood tears with me

 

ropes

tied in hand held earnest

emotions bitter/forbidden

to depart until death

like my impaired ones

but

a laugh/ a Joy/humor spewing from a story

brought stinging water to the open eye

for incessant timing

survival

 

they bleed through me

'cause I digest their pain

cubic tears bounce laughter

as madness

i gain

power/

stitched piece by piece--as

a quilt

introduce myself to myself now

sturdy pliable like

matured wood

 

they grow like vines through me  ‘cause there has to be

someone left

to tell the stories

come

eat from the fruit of the ancestors

it makes you stronger

the day’s mischief impeached

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment