Wednesday, September 28, 2011

my truth

Funny how people react to your personal truth when it has to do with a mental illness. In a presentation I give I end with my dream: "My dream is of a stigma free world where I can freely discuss my experiences of the past 29 years and not be laughed at, stared at blankly or ostracized." I don't know how people can take issue with my personal truth. It is what it is.

I want to encourage others to tell their personal truth about their illnesses. Only then can we transcend this thing called stigma. I also write to persuade those without mental illnesses to think about how it feels to lose your faculties and your dreams.

If my truth was another calamitous disease, even another brain disease, there would be no controversy. But, I do not apologize for my views on my personal truth. I am very proud of the fact that with my God and my family I have fought my way through this disease, at least till now. Sometimes, without the competent guidance of a mental health professional. I have been privy to many an unempathetic and/or incompetent professional. And, I will not be intimidated to say otherwise. How can anyone tell me what my truth is?

In reality, there is really nothing anyone can do to me but laugh at me, stare at me blankly or ostracize me. I have been alienated for so long by some, this no longer upsets me. But, I have also been alienated from myself; having to hide from my truth. This is the worst type of alienation. I am enjoying the freedom of embracing myself wholeheartedly, warts and all.

You gotta love me (smile).

No comments:

Post a Comment